Sunday, December 30, 2012

THE YEAR THAT WAS 2012.

This year has been Phase two of my healthy lifestyle change. Phase one in 2011 was the shedding of the inital weight I had been holding onto over the course of my child bearing years. It was about building up my fitness levels again after so many years of living a more sedentary life. I gave birth to our fourth son in late 2010, having had the 4 boys in just under 7 years. I began 2011 slowly recovering from my Hysterectomy feeling lethargic, flabby and generally unhappy within myself. My body was showing the signs of stress that the mutiple pregnancies had taken on me.

For others undertaking a lifestyle change either currently or for the beginning of 2013 you may like to use my approach to help you along the way. I have seen my personal lifestyle changes as a 3 Phase approach and I've found this has helped keep me on track along the way.

Phase One is the commencement and starts by making small manageable changes to your diet and everyday routine. Set yourself a realistic goal or small goals along the course of the year. You might like to write them down as a reminder to yourself or just visualise what it is you are hoping to achieve. Some small changes you may want to start with are as follows:

  • Buy yourself a new water bottle with a 600ml plus capacity. Look for BPA free products such as stainless steel or Tupperware plastic.
  • Get into the habit of taking the water with you everywhere you go. Ensure you drink at least 2 full bottles per day, sipping frequently throughout the day.
  • Add a couple of lemon slices to your water bottle which will not only give your immune system a boost and digestive system a flushout but will give your water a lovely fresh, sweet taste.
  • Start every day with a substantial breakfast within half an hour of waking. If you are a cereal fan try swapping for other choices for a few days a week. Great options include natural yoghurt (topped with chia seeds, fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey), banana smoothie or eggs and smoked salmon with tomato or mushrooms.
  • Invest in a good quality Food processor. Many of my recipes are made using a Thermomix but you can manage using your own basic kitchen items if you have a good quality Food processor. Making many of your meals and snacks from scratch means you are in control of the amount of fats, sugars and salt in your diet and can easily substitute healthier options. If you are time poor you might like to invest in good quality storage containers (I am a massive Tupperware fan) so you can make things in bulk and freeze them for time-saving purposes.
  • Invest in a Juice Extractor. Substituting snacks and meals with a healthy fresh juice can be a great way to kick off your new healthier lifestyle. I regularly juice and believe it helps my digestion, clears my skin and gives me energy. I find it especially beneficial when sick or during a busy period like Christmas when I'm burning the candle at both ends a little more than usual. Juicing is a particularly good choice for post-alcohol occasions when the liver needs a rest and assistance in flushing out the toxins.
  • Start walking at least 3 times a week. The amount of time you spend isn't totally important, just getting your body moving and heart rate up will help to gradually build your fitness. Even a 15 minute walk or jog can improve your muscle tone and assist with weight loss. I started walking for around 15 minutes a few times a week early this year and am now able to run/jog between 2 and 5 kms a few times a week. Get aquainted with your neighbourhood, grab some friends to join you for a walk at least once a week and allow yourself thinking time on your walk. I find I come home from my run feeling much clearer in the head from the time I've had alone with my thoughts.
  • Reduce the amount of chemical household cleaners you have in your home. Did you know that pure vinegar can be used in a spray bottle as a multi-purpose cleaner? It is highly effective in killing germs, bacteria and most mould. It is also very inexpensive when compared to kitchen, bathroom and other standard cleaners. You can also add a little bicarb soda to the vinegar to make a paste to clean more stubborn stains in your kitchen, bathroom, etc. Don't forget the best way to kill off salmonella and other dangerous bacteria is by using good old fashioned hot water, dishwash liquid and a scrubbing brush.  You can also add a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil to your cleaning cloth or to a spray bottle of water if you're looking for a lovely smelling home. Wipe your surfaces down first with a spray of the vinegar and eucalypt cloth or spray the eucalypt mist in your bathroom or toilet for a greener, safer option to nasty chemical based air fresheners. Making these changes to our home has together with dietary changes greatly decreased the asthma, hayfever and sickness in our home. Give it a try, I guarantee you won't go back to the chemicals!
Having come to the end of my Phase two (a period of increased exercise, greater control over diet and the return to a healthy BMI) I am now looking to 2013 for Phase three, what I see as the final challenge to my healthy lifestyle change. 2013 is for me about maintaining my healthy weight, keeping myself in optimal health with minimal sickness within the family and toning the last of my trouble spots.

Stay tuned for an upcoming blog where I will provide you with even more tips on increasing your good health and well-being! Thanks for following along in the short time I have been blogging with you so far and I look forward to hearing all your own stories of vitality in the new year!



No comments:

Post a Comment